Sunday 15 November 2015

The Easy Way.


Sometimes making your life easier is just a necessity.

For me driving has always been an issue, every time I knew I had a driving lesson I would feel sick all day and think of any reason not to do it. I hate using this as an excuse but I was in a fairly serious car accident before I started learning (I wasn't driving just to clarify), thankfully it's the only one I've been in to date. I won't divulge all the details but we did end up on the roof and had to crawl out the broken windows so it did make me worry a bit when in the driver seat myself.
I also think that my anaemia has played a part as it leaves me dizzy and struggling to concentrate which is just a bit important when driving.

I had a lot of lessons, with different instructors and at various times and all of them felt the same. I could drive fine, all the teachers said I was safe and never really did anything majorly wrong but it was me holding myself back. I felt like I would never be confident enough to do a test, I could barely get through a lesson let alone adding the pressure of being examined!

That's when I decided to go automatic. A few people thought this might limit me a bit as in England if you do a test in an automatic car you can't then drive manuals. Although it might lower my choices of car, there are still so many options, plus I really needed to get my license since I live in the arse end of nowhere.

After a few automatic lessons I knew this was the only way I was going to pass my test in the near future, so I continued learning and eventually passed my test a few months ago - first time and all!

When making this decision I almost felt like I was being lazy and it was taking the easy way out (title reference hey ooooh!) but the closer I got to booking a test I realised it really was the best thing for me to do, also it meant being able to drive sooner and open up all manner of new possibilities.
I still don't enjoy driving, in fact I actively dislike it but it's an integral part of adult life and allows me to do all the things I want to without relying on others.

I don't think you should ever feel guilt for making tasks simpler or quicker for yourself, it's your life and you only have so much spare time. Why make things more arduous than they need to be?

Taking the easy way out isn't always a negative concept.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment